First Congregational Church


First Congregational Church photo of First Congregational Church
The Rev. Sylvester Cochrane, a Congregational minister from Vermont, first conceived of a settlement in Michigan after a visit here in 1835. Returning home he formed a group called the Union Colony, which settled in Vermontville the next year. The colonists were religiously oriented, and one of their stated purposes in settling here was to "remove the moral darkness" which they thought pervaded the West. Church services were first held in a log cabin and later in the Academy across the street. The present church was dedicated in 1864. The building strongly resembles certain New England meetinghouses of the late eighteenth century, especially in its roof framing of roughly hewn timbers and in much of the interior woodwork.
 

Registered Site HB54
Erected 1970

Location: 341 South Main St.
Vermontville, Eaton County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.62482 W85.024883
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.