Mormon Print Shop


Mormon Print Shop photo of Mormon Print Shop
This building was erected in 1850, by James Strang and his followers. Here during the 1850s, these Mormon dissenters published religious works and two newspapers, the Northern Islander and the Daily Northern Islander. Strang's group had settled on Beaver Island in 1845 after breaking away from the Mormons led by Brigham Young. In 1850, Strang was declared "king" of his community, which made up the majority of the population of the island. In 1856, Strang was fatally shot by two disenchanted followers. In the wake of the assassination, an angry mob from the mainland stormed Beaver Island destroying buildings and forcing the Mormons to flee. At that time, this print shop was ransacked. It later became a boardinghouse. Today it serves as the headquarters for the Beaver Island Historical Society.
 

Registered Site HB32
Erected 1957

Location: Forrest and Main Street
St. James, Beaver Island, Charlevoix County

Topics:
Commercial Buildings
Museums


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.746154489 W85.52074044
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.